Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Taking Care of Ourselves & Each Other

Health & Well-Being

Farm Fest, 2022. Credit: Micaela Go

For Students

Main content start

In our educational one-on-one meetings, you’ll meet with one of our Substance Use Educators who can help you develop a plan for safer drinking, learn tools to modify substance use, give you personalized feedback, develop substance use cessation planning (including nicotine), and/or assist in referring you to additional resources.

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line


Schedule a One-on-One 

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

We offer both in-person and zoom consultations!

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

How can SUPER help?

Police Citation Process FAQs

What does the court process look like for a substance use related citation?

General Process:

Once a student is cited, the student should look at their citation (physical form) for their court date and court location (due to the different courts in Santa Clara County)

If there is no court date written on the citation, then the student will need to call SUDPS to retrieve the court date – The written court date is technically SUDPS responsibility, but we sometimes see blank citations 

Student will then need to attend a one one-on-one meeting with a SUPER educator and possible follow up meetings and assignments based on the type of citation and severity. 

After all follow up is completed, SUPER will provide the student with Stanford paperwork that they will take with them to court on their court date.

Changing your court date:

The student can request an earlier date if the student calls the Santa Clara County Court General Phone Number to check if their citation has been processed into the court’s internal system and then ask the court clerk if the student can be seen earlier

The phone number is the Administration/Court Executive Number at 408-882-2700

The student will be prompted through a long menu and it’s best that the student selects the options that lead to a general clerk who can redirect the student’s call. Call times can range from 5 minutes to more depending on how busy the court is for that day. There is no phone number specifically for AOD citations. More on Court Telephone Numbers here:

In some cases, we’ve had students arrive to court without a prior appointment or before the student’s designated court date, who were allowed to see the judge because the court had already processed their citation and the docket wasn’t full. However, if the docket is full the student may be dismissed and told to come back at a later time. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: There have also been cases where the citation was processed the day right before the court date - This is outside of anyone’s control except for the court’s staff and their capacity at that time. If you call to have your court date changed and they do not find your citation in the system, unfortunately this means you will have to continue calling on a regular basis until they have processed it. 

What about getting an Attorney?

If a student cannot or chooses not to attend court, the student can go through ASSU Legal Counsel to set up an appointment to retain a lawyer OR hire their own lawyer (fees vary). The lawyer can represent the student the day of court and/or present other legal advice to the student. SUPER cannot provide any legal advice as we are not lawyers. 

What happens on my court date?

When you arrive at court, you will be prompted/guided to the Public Defender on duty for that day as they are there to aid the general public who go through the public diversion programs. 

The Public Defender will give you details of the process, diversion programs, etc. depending on the case. 

You will proceed to talk with a judge (or court staff on duty that day) and at that time you will present our SUPER Court paperwork as proof of participating in an Alcohol and Other Drug diversion program – That’s basically it for non-complex court citation cases. For more severe citations like a DUI, this process will vary. 

What can you expect when you meet with SUPER?

SUPER offers alcohol safety education and non-clinical counseling (meaning, we are not a clinical service nor substance use treatment service). We do sometimes connect students to clinical services if they feel it may benefit them.

We usually meet with students two times (sometimes more if they would like). The first meeting is really about getting to know the student, understanding what their concerns are, assessing what level of support they are looking for, and their relationship with substance use. We also create a risk reduction plan with them where we discuss their goals related to substance use and overall health and wellbeing. Then together, we come up with some strategies to try out for the next few weeks to reduce risks and achieve those goals.

The second meeting is usually reflecting on how the risk reduction plan worked for them/modifying it, what additional supports the student might want/need, and helping to facilitate those referrals if needed.

What are the different reasons students come to SUPER for a one-on-one meeting?

A student might come to us for a variety of reasons. It may be that they are worried about their own substance use or a friend’s substance use, or that they simply feel they want to learn more about alcohol and drugs and how they impact our bodies. Broadly speaking, students either self-refer to learn more and explore their relationship to substances OR they have been referred to our office after and alcohol or drug related incident. In either case, we take an educational approach and try to meet the student where they are at in terms of their relationship with substances. It is not disciplinary in nature and does not go on a formal disciplinary record.


Students who self-refer are not mandated to meet with their RDs, but we almost always recommend they do meet with them, because often an RD can provide additional support options that SUPER wouldn't be able to otherwise. We may also help you get connected to CAPS if you are looking for a confidential or clinical resource. Student’s can self-refer to SUPER by simply signing up for a time with us using the one-on-one scheduling link or by emailing us at

Mandatory Referrals

Students will meet with both their Residence Director (RD) and SUPER following a serious alcohol or drug related incident. On the SUPER side, students can expect the same process as outlined above. 

Student Organization Referrals

We also work with student organization leaders and consult around various issues they may be observing about their group's behaviors around substance use. Sometimes these consults happen after a group has gone through an OCB process and other times, a group wants to be proactive and learn how to assess/create a healthier, safer, culture around substance use and reaches out of their own volition. 

What are the different police citations related to substance use?

How can SUPER and Stanford Help?

Education, Support, and Referral

SUPER offers a variety of online modules and trainings on substance use along the spectrum from no use to dependency. We will talk through your current thoughts and feelings about substance use and then discuss what resources may be helpful whether it be a few supportive meetings with SUPER, a connection to a Residence Director or a referral to a confidential clinical service. Wherever you land along the spectrum of substance use, we are here to support you.

Court Paperwork

If you have been cited by police for the citations listed above, SUPER provides the type of education and paperwork that Santa Clara County court will accept as diversion. We meet with you to provide approved education so that you do not have to go off campus for the equivalent county hosted education in San Jose. A student at any time may opt to go to the county diversion program if they so choose, however, SUPER cannot provide court paperwork in this case, and this would have to be managed by the county. You should bring your paperwork with you on your court date, which can be found on the physical citation you received or by calling the Santa Clara county court. It is important to note that SUPER cannot and does not provide legal advice. ASSU legal counsel is a resource for students if they would like legal advice.

Connections to social outlets that don’t center substances

SUPER works closely with the Collegiate Recovery Community at Stanford. If you are hoping to meet folks in recovery, explore what recovery might look like for you, or simply learn more about what recovery is, we can connect you to the Stanford Collegiate Recovery Program.

Abstract multicolored lights background @ aga77ta