Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids are manufactured substances related to the male sex hormone Testosterone. They may be prescribed by a doctor to rebuild tissues weakened by injury or disease, to assist in regaining or maintaining weight after illness, and to aid recovery from breast cancer and osteoporosis in women. Steroids are abused in an attempt to enhance athletic performance and improve physical appearance and can be taken in pill form, injected, or rubbed on the skin in the form of gels or creams.
The Facts About Steroids
- Major, irreversible side effects can result from hormonal imbalances caused by steroids:
- In Men: testicular shrinking, breast development, and severe acne
- In Women: facial hair, menstrual changes, and deepened voice
- Steroids can cause psychiatric dysfunctions such as increased aggression, extreme mood swings, and depressed mood
- Long term side effects:
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Liver and kidney damage
- Possession of illegally obtained steroids carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.