Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Taking Care of Ourselves & Each Other

Health & Well-Being

 Roble Dorm in springtime. Credit: Linda A. Cicero / Stanford News Service

I am in recovery and seeking academic and housing accommodations

Main content start

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), substance use disorders and substance use-related conditions are recognized as a disability. This grants individuals in recovery the right to academic and housing accomodations. The Office of Substance Use Programs, Education & Resources partners with the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) to support students with accessing these accommodations. 

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

Below Are Guidelines Written in Partnership With OAE

  1. The Office of Accessible Education: OAE facilitates accommodations for students with disabilities, including those related to substance use disorders, conditions, or treatment regimens. There are a variety of academic or housing accommodations available - OAE staff work with students to determine what accommodations best fit a student’s needs on a case-by-case basis.  
  2. Registration: When pursuing academic or housing accommodations, students must register to OAE by visiting OAE’s website portal at
    • Students are required to submit documentation from an appropriately licensed professional that speaks to the specific disability-related impacts a student is experiencing or history of disability experiences. Students' recovery and/or treatment plans should be determined by the student and their health care provider.
      • The initial registration form allows students to submit documentation. Students can also submit documentation through fax, email, or physically at the OAE office.
    • Students do not need to actively be in a recovery program in order to be eligible for accomodations. If a student currently has a substance use disorder or history of such, students are still entitled to accommodations. 
  3. Connecting with a Disability Advisor: Students are assigned a Disability Advisor once they’ve submitted documentation. 
    • However, if a student has pressing concerns or is unable to attain documentation due to the challenges of accessing care during the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, students are advised to email or call the Office of Accessible Education to explain their circumstances to OAE staff. 
    • Once connected with a Disability Advisor, both the student and the Disability Advisor can explore provisional accommodations. 
    • It is important that students do not wait to connect with OAE staff as accommodations cannot be provided retroactively.
    • If a student is experiencing academic concerns or is considering a reduced course load in order to better manage balancing academics and participation in a treatment program, then please reach out to OAE staff as early as possible.
2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

More On Services

Please note that relapse, or current use of substances, does not permit exemption from consequences related to being possession of illegal drugs, failing a class, campus policy violations, etc. Nonetheless, relapse or current use of substances does not take away eligibility for accommodations such as a single room housing assignment, academic assignment extensions, etc.

Reach Out

If you have more questions, please contact the Office of Accessible Education:

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line

The above guidelines were created in partnership with OAE Disability Advisor, Sarah Clark.