Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Taking Care of Ourselves & Each Other

Health & Well-Being

Portrait of happy gay couple hugging and kissing in the street. Credit: @mego-studio

Frequently Asked Questions: LGBTQIA+ Health at Stanford

Main content start

Access an FAQ that has been curated by our staff to assist in answering questions for members of Stanford's communities.

2023-24 Neighborhood Decorative Accent Line


Who has access to my records at Vaden? Will my parents find out?

Medical records are strictly confidential. By law, your parents, friends, professors, and school officials do not have access to them. Insurance companies have access to records only if you are using insurance to pay for your health care, which is not required for brief therapy. Records can be released only with your written consent or by court order.

There can be some exceptions to the above circumstances, and sometimes students who have insurance through their parents, or have parents who are quite involved in their lives, have questions. If you have questions or concerns regarding these issues, you can discuss what is written in the medical record with your practitioner at the time of your visit.

Are there CAPS therapists who have a specialized background working with LGBTQIA-identified students?

Weiland clinicians have all received extensive training in working with queer, trans, and gender non-conforming folx. Several CAPS therapists also have a background in or are receiving specialized training and supervision regarding gender and sexuality. During your CAPS Connects appointment, inform the clinician that you would prefer seeing a CAPS or Weiland therapist who has specialized training in working with gender and sexuality. You also can identify a CAPS counselor with extensive training in LGBTQIA+ mental health issues by an asterisk posted next to their name and a note on their Staff Page profile.

In addition, you can sign up for drop-in Weiland Connects sessions. Weiland Connects visits are one-time, 30-minute sessions where you can speak confidentially with a gender and sexuality-affirming clinician. In these sessions, you can learn more about therapy, discuss resources, process feelings, etc. These sessions can be booked via VadenPatientPortal or can be directly scheduled by emailing

I am an LGBTQIA+ identified student and am seeking medical services. What do you suggest?

Most health care providers at Vaden consider themselves generalists in regard to their training rather than labeling themselves with a specialty. Transgender and gender-expansive students seeking transition-related care should use the VadenPatientPortal online booking system and indicate that the appointment topic is “transgender health care” to automatically be given appointment options with specialized clinicians. In addition, Dr. Robyn Tepper, Vaden Medical Services Director,  is currently participating in a drop-in gender-and sexuality consultation group. She can help if you are experiencing difficulty accessing LGBTQIA+ sensitive health care on campus. Contact her at or 650-723-0932.

I am looking for an LGBTQIA-friendly therapist in the community who takes my insurance. How can I get started?

You can peruse this database that a Weiland Health Associate created to help you find an affirming therapist. You may contact your insurance provider and inquire as to whether or not they have LGBTQIA+ specialists in their network. You can also call CAPS at 650-723-3785 and ask for a referral. Clinicians that you reach at CAPS during CAPS Connects will make every effort to match you with an LGBTQIA+ specialist within your insurance network and will assist you with any questions/concerns you may encounter during this referral process.

I think I might be gay/queer/trans, but I’m not ready to talk to my friends or family about it yet. How can I get support without “outing” myself everywhere?

Coming out can be a complex, exciting, and sometimes stressful process. Vaden providers are committed to providing LGBTQIA+ identified and questioning Stanford students with the highest level of care. Individual brief counseling services at CAPS and Weiland are entirely confidential and free of charge. In addition, the Weiland Health Initiative offers drop-in counseling hours specifically for LGBTQIA+ identified students with clinicians who have extensive experience and comfort speaking with students about coming out-related topics. You can schedule yourself by going online to VadenPatientPortal or emailing

Where can I find resources on coming out?

The Queer Resource Center at QSpot offers an extensive library of books, magazines, and DVDs. You are welcome to stop by or make an appointment with one of the professional or student staff members. Visit QSR’s website for a list of organizations, programs, email lists, and calendar of events.

The Weiland Health Initiative is also a great resource for students in the coming out process. Visit for details or email us at to set up an appointment. You also can visit Vaden’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for support.

I have some questions about sex that I would prefer to have answered anonymously. Is there a way I can do that?

The Sexual Health Peer Resource Center (SHPRC), located on the 2nd floor of Vaden Health Center, provides sexual health resources and peer counseling to Stanford students. The center is student-run and funded. More information will be made available about SHPRC’s fall hours. 

You can also try San Francisco Sex Information (SFSI) at 415-989-SFSI. They provide free, accurate, anonymous, non-judgmental information about sex, and they are educated in all aspects of human sexuality, including safer sex, sexual behavior, sexual identity, and gender identity.

I am a queer-identified student of color. Where can I find some support/community at Stanford?

There are a number of campus organizations for queer-identified students of color, such as Black and Queer at Stanford (BlaQS), La Familia de Stanford (LaFa), and Queer and Asian (Q&A). Check out the Queer Resource Center’s website for a full list. Weiland has access to databases full of QTPOC clinicians across the country. In addition, you can ask your CAPS Connects coordinator to be linked to a queer clinician of color, depending upon availability. 

How can I get an HIV test? How can I get started on PReP?

PrEP infographic

Medical Services provides HIV testing with a blood test. The lab results are filed in your medical record along with your other test results. Your medical record is confidential, and the results will not be released without your permission unless subpoenaed by law. Positive test results for communicable infections, including chlamydia, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV and hepatitis C, must be reported to the County Department of Public Health. If you need documentation of your results, this is the type of testing you need.

How can I meet other LGBTQIA-identified people at Stanford?

Stanford has a number of queer organizations on campus that target various religious, academic, and cultural interests. There are many LGBTQIA-specific events throughout the year such queer parties, queer healing, discussion groups, etc. Check out QSR’s website for a complete list of organizations and sign up for LGBTQIA mailing lists (such as QNet) to receive announcements about LGBTQIA related events on campus.

My spiritual/religious/cultural beliefs conflict with my sexual and/or gender identity. Are there resources at Stanford that can help?

Stanford is committed to welcoming students of all sexual and gender identities, as well as all religious and non-religious traditions. In keeping with that commitment, there are a number of resources to help individuals dealing with spiritual, religious, and cultural conflicts.

The Office for Religious Life provides leadership, services, and programming in matters of religion, spirituality and ethics. The current deans represent the Christian, Jewish, and Unitarian Universalists traditions and strive to ensure that students, faculty, and staff, regardless of their gender or sexual identity, have access to honest, lively, thoughtful, and supportive contexts in which to pursue their spiritual journeys. Visit The Office for Religious Life website for a description of their mission, events, and services.

Sometimes it helps to talk with a counseling professional about such issues. The Weiland Health Initiative is also a great resource for students in the coming out process. Visit for details or email us at to set up an appointment. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can also help students dealing with personal, academic, and relationship concerns through evaluation and brief counseling. Visit the CAPS page or call 650.723.3785 to make an appointment.