Emergency contraception refers to methods that can be used after sexual intercourse. Learn what options are available Walgreens at Vaden and access additional resources.
Emergency Contraception Options
Levonorgestrel emergency contraception pills
Levonorgestrel emergency contraception pills (generic Take Action) is available at Walgreens at Vaden. It can be dispensed to either the patient or the partner. Patients can also receive emergency contraception by making an appointment with a Vaden nurse.
- The cost of 'Take Action' varies from $30-$60.
- If Vaden is closed, there are other community options, including:
Ulipristal acetate, known by the brand name ella, is also available at Vaden but requires a prescription. This pill may be more effective than Levonorgestrel pills if more than 72 hours have passed since unprotected sex.
- It should not be used more than once in the same menstrual cycle.
- Ulipristal acetate may reduce the contraceptive effects of regular hormonal contraceptive methods, and you will need to use a reliable barrier method of contraception (i.e. condoms) for the rest of the cycle.
- You should seek immediate medical care if severe stomach or pelvic pain develops, which may be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy.
Be sure and follow-up with Vaden for a regular and reliable form of contraception.