Skip to content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions About Insurance and the Health Fee

What is the difference between health insurance and the Health Fee?

The Campus Health Service Fee ('Health Fee') is a mandatory fee charged to (many) registered students. It allows students to access care at Vaden Health Center ('Vaden'), the student health facility located on campus. The cost of many of the services provided at Vaden is covered under the Health Fee. In general, Primary Care visits and Counsleing and Psychological Services visits are covered. These might be in-person visits or telemedicine visits, depending on the circumstances.

Health insurance is needed to cover those services that are available at Vaden, but aren't provided under the Health Fee (such as most lab tests, radiology interpretations, prescriptions, Physical Therapy, and specialist care, to name a few examples) and/or aren't provided at Vaden at all (such as emergency care, hospitalization, etc.).  It's VERY important to ensure that the health insurance a student chooses works well in the area(s) in which a student will be located (whether that is at home or in the Stanford area).

Can I request an exemption from paying the Health Fee?

The Health Fee has historically been mandatory for all students who are enrolled on the main Stanford campus. For 2020-2021, however, the Health Fee is automatically assessed to students who are living in Stanford-assigned housing. No exemptions are offered.

If you are a student who was NOT assessed the Health Fee (because you do not live on campus), you may still request access to care at Vaden Health Center by submitting a ticket to the Student Services Center via ServiceNow and asking to have the fee assessed. If you are in the Stanford vicinity, care may be provided in person and/or via telemedicine. If you are located in the state of California, you may opt to have the fee assessed to have telehealth care at Vaden. The Vaden providers are not licensed to provide care outside of California. 

What if I study abroad, or at Bing Stanford in Washington?

While you are enrolled at another Stanford campus, such as through the Bing Overseas Studies Program, Bing Stanford in Washington, you'll be exempted from the Health Fee, even though you may be paying other Stanford fees, such as tuition.

Are there any university resources to help me pay the Health Fee?

There may be—see below:

  • Some students may qualify for aid with university fees if they pose significant hardship. If applicable to you, the best thing to do is to review the information about your specific situation at and then contact the Financial Aid Office directly at (650) 723-3058 for further assistance.
  • Graduate students with funding from a program, department, or fellowship may be eligible for support. Be sure to consult with your department’s student services administrator.

If I don’t register for classes in Summer Quarter but will be in the area, can I access care at Vaden Health Center?

If you are unregistered for classes in Summer Quarter, you will not be automatically charged the Health Fee. If you want to be seen at Vaden Health Center, one of the following scenarios will apply:

  • If you have Cardinal Care, and want to have care at Vaden Health Center, you’ll be charged the Health Fee at the time of your visit.
  • If you have private insurance, and want to have care at Vaden Health Center, you’ll be charged a Summer Access Charge (same amount as the Health Fee) at the time of your visit.

I am a student with dependent(s). Can dependents access care at Vaden Health Center?

Dependents of students are not charged the Health Fee and are not eligible for care at Vaden Health Center. However, there are many options for care, both for pediatric and adult needs, in the Stanford area for dependents of students. Dependents who have insurance through the Stanford Student Dependent Health Insurance Plan should access care through a networked provider to minimize out-of-pocket costs.

I have my own private insurance plan. Will Vaden Health Center bill my private insurance for primary medical care visits?

No. Vaden Health Center does not bill private insurance carriers for services provided at Vaden. Students with private insurance will be asked to pay at the time of service for any care that is not covered under the Health Fee. Students can request a receipt to submit to private insurance, but there is no guarantee that reimbursement will occur, or that the full amount will be covered. (Side note - Vaden DOES bill Cardinal Care/Health Net for some services, such as preventive immunizations, for students who have coverage through Cardinal Care.) 

I intend to keep Cardinal Care coverage and know I will be traveling away from campus over the year. If I am out of the area and need care, what do I do?

Within California, you can go to any Health Net contracted provider under Tier 2 of the plan. If you are outside of California, the provider network is First Health. To find a Health Net or First Health contracted provider in your area, visit or call Health Net Customer Service at (800)-250-5226.

What if I need insurance coverage before 9/1?

The university offers a month of Early Start coverage in Cardinal Care for students who must arrive early on campus in August for officialUniversity business. Early Start is only available to students who will have Cardinal Care coverage for the upcoming academic year. If you are qualified, please contact the Insurance and Referral Office for additional information.

What are my options after graduation?

Cardinal Care is an annual enrollment plan. If you choose to remain enrolled in Cardinal Care (instead of waiving the coverage) during your open enrollment period (driven by when you enter the university), you will be covered through August 31 (i.e., the summer period is always covered). If you plan to graduate at the end of Autumn or Winter Quarter, you may be eligible for early cancellation of Cardinal Care. You must petition to come out of Cardinal Care if you wish to end coverage early. The petition needs to be submitted no later than December 15 (for Autumn Quarter degree conferral), in which case coverage will end on December 31, or no later than April 15 (for Winter Quarter degree conferral) in which case coverage will end April 30.


2021-2022 Student Health Matters


Questions?  Contact us at