For students entering the university in Autumn quarter, it is important that you complete your entrance health requirements by the applicable deadline.
Entrance Health Requirement Deadlines for New Students
- Incoming frosh: August 4, 2023
- Undergrad transfers: August 11, 2023
- Graduate/Medical/MSPA students: August 15, 2023
Must-Do health requirements before entering Stanford (for new students)
What To Do
- Gather your health information; names and dosages of medications you take, allergies you have, etc.
- Read through the resource Are you up to date? for helpful tips about vaccines.
- Review and become knowledgeable about the health history of your family members
- Complete the required forms below. Detailed instructions are on the form(s). For proof of immunizations, you may submit an electronic copy from your current health record OR use the form we provide for you.
- VadenPatient, found at vadenpatient.stanford.edu, is the secure web portal to your electronic health record where you can access the web forms below. You will need your SUNet ID and password.
Immunizations for Non-Medical Students
This is a 3-step process:
- Obtain health care provider verification of immunizations either by providing an electronic copy from your current medical record OR submitting the form we provide here.
- Enter verified dates into your web form via VadenPatient.
- Upload the information directly into your Vaden health record via the VadenPatient portal (preferred method) or send completed form to Vaden (see below for other submission options).
If you are unable to upload your forms to VadenPatient, you may send completed forms to:
- Fax: 650.498.1118
- Postal Mail: Vaden Health Center, Attn: Medical Records, 866 Campus Drive, Stanford, CA 94305-8580
You may also submit health requirement documentation using ServiceNow and selecting 'Student Services & Academics', 'Student Health', and 'Inquire about Health Requirements', however the preferred and fastest method is for you to upload your documents directly to the VadenPatient portal and enter the associated dates.
We cannot confirm receipt of your document(s), however, you can check to see if your forms have been verified using the the VadenPatient portal (you will need your SUNet ID and password). It may take up to 30 days for the health center staff to verify your information.
For questions about the Health Requirements
Contact Vaden Health Center staff using ServiceNow. Go to 'Student Services & Academics', select the 'Student Health' box, and then select 'Inquire about Health Requirements' to submit your question. Please provide your student ID and your @stanford.edu email account to facilitate timely response.
Exemption from Immunizations
A student may request a medical or religious exemption from the immunization requirement for required vaccines.
- For Fall Quarter, exemption requests must be submitted by July 15 (undergrads) and by July 31 (grad and professional students).
- For Winter Quarter, exemption requests must be submitted by December 1.
- For Spring Quarter, exemption requests must be submitted by March 1.
- For Summer Quarter, exemption requests must be submitted by May 1.
Attitudes, beliefs, or preferences that are purely personal are not grounds for an exemption.
Additional Considerations Before Your Arrival on Campus
Below, we’ve listed a few tips that may help smooth your transition to Stanford.
- Bring face coverings (either disposables or cloth versions you can launder or boil) that span the mouth and nose
- Bring a copy of your important medical records
- Visit your physician to discuss / complete / transfer any treatments in progress in anticipation of your arrival on campus
- Visit your dentist
- Refill your prescriptions
- Gather any basic over-the-counter medications you routinely use
- Assemble a basic first aid kit (bandages, scissors, etc.) - be sure to include a thermometer
- Invest in a back-up pair of eyeglasses and/or contact lenses, and bring a copy of your vision related prescription(s) with you
- Make sure to pack your bike helmet
- Place your health insurance card in your wallet or purse
For questions about Health Insurance
Vaden Frequently Asked Questions
Here you can view answers to questions that we receive at Vaden Health Services.